Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Call of Adoption

Adoption has been on our hearts for a long time. Before we were married we talked about how we would love to adopt one day. Since kids were in the future we didn't give it much more thought and enjoyed life as a newly married couple. In the spring of 2009, I had the opportunity to travel to Haiti (see previous post) and minister to about 100 of the neediest and poorest orphans in the world. My heart broke for these kids and I felt God calling us to adoption like never before. Even though God was speaking to us about adoption we did want to have one biological child, if we could, so in the fall of 2009 we started trying to get pregnant. Eight months later we were and our daughter, Emmalyn, was born in January 2011.

So here we are a year later and ready to embark on our own international adoption journey. We often get questions like why are you adopting, why internationally, etc? Adoption is close to our hearts because our great God first adopted us as His children. We were destined for death and wrath but He intervened and sent Jesus to die in my place so I could be called a child of God. I am welcomed into His family. Throughout the Bible, we see that God's heart is for the orphan and the fatherless.

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." Proverbs 31:8-9

"...because I rescued the poor who cried for help, and the fatherless who had none to assist them." Job 29:12

"Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed." Psalm 82:3

"Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow." Isaiah 1:17

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27


Why internationally? Aren't there kids right here in America that need homes? Yes, there are many needy and fatherless kids in our own country. But we feel that God has provided resources and blessed us so we in turn can bless others. So many orphans are in other countries without access to basic needs like food, clothing, and shelter not to mention the love and support they need to thrive and a chance to hear the Gospel and become a Christ-follower one day.

The worldwide statistic on orphans and needy children is 163 million. I realize that this number is skewed somewhat as this is the number of kids that have lost one parent so some of them are not orphans as we tend to think of it. It is still a staggering number in the millions. As a Christ-follower, I cannot sit and do nothing and pretend there is not a hurting world out there that needs Jesus.

I'm tired of mediocre American Christianity that refuses to take a risk for Jesus. I want to risk it all and do the hard thing, go to difficult places, rescue kids from extreme poverty and introduce them to Jesus. Yeah, it's going to cost something. It's going to be expensive, emotionally draining, and time intensive. But eternity hangs in the balance and the reward will be great. I read a book Kisses for Katie recently about a high school graduate who risked it all and moved to Uganda to serve orphans. In the book, she gives a statistic that the number of Christians in the world are 2.1 billion and that if only 8% of those would rescue just one child there would be no more statistics. So what are you going to do Christian?


Please pray for us as we research and choose an agency to facilitate this priceless journey. Stay tuned for more!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Katie! I'm so proud of you guys for taking such a huge risk and opening your hearts so fully to this process. Can't wait to hear what happens!

    ReplyDelete